Hopeful Tomorrows has helped couples from across the country who have found themselves facing situations where they didn’t see hope for the future of their marriage, and been brought back from the brink and into a renewed and loving marriage. If you’re looking for hope for the future, you can find it at our weekend retreats. Hear from couples who have invested a weekend with us and found a new connection for a stronger marital bond.
“Our marriage had subtly slipped into a distant stalemate.” – Dr. Brent Smith
After 30 years of marriage, my wife and I realized our marriage had subtly slipped into a distant stalemate. I agreed (with great reluctance) to attend an intensive marriage restoration weekend led by Derek and Missy. I half expected a cookie cutter presentation with oversimplified pat answers and a lot of Bible thumping which I would not have survived. To my pleasant surprise this was not the case. Derek and Missy present a balanced and practical path to marital restoration. They utilize sound biblical and psychological principles presented in a personal and deeply meaningful style which was exactly what I needed. My wife and I experienced a much-needed healing and re-connection as a result of this weekend which put us on the path to a healthier marriage. As a practicing mental health professional of over 35 years with licenses as a Marriage and Family Therapist, Professional Counselor, and Clinical Psychologist, I have referred numerous clients and friends to their restoration weekends. I highly recommend Derek and Missy as wonderful instruments of God’s healing grace. They are true rock stars in my book, and I like to think of them as the Chip and Joanna Gaines of marriage Fixer Uppers!!!
What to Expect: Our Weekend Timeline
- God’s Design for marriage: Creating a different kind of marriage
- Identifying where your marriage is and how it got there
- Understanding how your past impacts your marriage
- How couples drift out of love and what to do about it
- Understanding what you and your spouse need in marriage
- How to create emotional safety in your marriage
- The four essential skills to develop an emotionally healthy marriage
- How to keep a fight from spiraling out of control
- Practical tools to engage in conflict without making things worse
- What to do when one person is detached emotionally and the other experiences lots of emotions.
- Learn how to get your spouse to hear and connect with your pain
- What does forgiveness look like when you have been deeply hurt or betrayed
4:30 to completion
- Experience working through past hurts in a way that brings understanding
- Work individually as a couple with a marriage coach for an hour session
- Learn how to give and receive empathy with your spouse
- Experience the power of connection that comes from forgiveness
- How to avoid the four most common marriage pitfalls
- What to do when your spouse pulls away or withdraws
- Rediscover and reclaim feelings of love for your spouse
- How to stop the negative patterns that create conflict and distance
- How to create the marriage and life that you want
- Connecting and staying connected with your spouse
- What your spouse needs from you.
- How your relationship with God impacts your marriage